History

Year (Date)Main event
1922 (July 28th)Established as a marine biological research station of the Faculty of Science, Kyoto Imperial University in the area called Kikyou Daira of Bansho Zaki Cape by purchasing the land from Seto Kanayama Town.
1930 (June 1st)Started opening of aquarium rooms to the public in memorial of the visit of Showa Emperor (Hirohito).
1938Renamed as Seto Marine Biological Laboratory. The first director was Prof. Komai.
1955The aquarium was designated as a museum-equivalent institution.
1968Purchased Hatake-Jima Island as an experimental field.
1981Reconstruction started.
1983Reconstruction of research building and dormitory completed.
1993Reconstruction of the buildings 1,3,4 of the Aquarium completed.
2003Reorganized into a part of the Field Science Education and Research Center, Kyoto University

[High-angle view of SMBL in 1979]

Currently, the laboratory consists of 40,630m2 land, 26,530m2 Hatake-Jima Island (an experimental field) and 5,680m2 buildings. The environments around the laboratory are well conserved. The staffs of the laboratory carry out natural historic research, such as, taxonomy and ecology, of marine organisms living around the laboratory. Many visiting researchers use the facility. In addition, marine courses of not only Kyoto University but also other universities also are held in the laboratory. The aquarium attached to the laboratory is open to the public.

[Main Research Building (1983)]

[Dormitory (1983)]